In 2019 Cannon Building was rated one of the top places to work by the Orange County Business Journal. We are looking for an experienced Assistant Superintendent to join our growing team!
About the Company
Cannon Building, a successful commercial General Contractor, is seeking a motivated, skilled, and experienced Superintendent for our Los Angeles/Orange County and San Diego County offices. We are a leading Life Science, Healthcare, and Commercial/Industrial builder who provides high efficiency, cost-effective construction solutions while maintaining a relentless focus on safety and quality.
The Assistant Superintendent is ultimately responsible for execution of the Cannon Building’s Safety Plan at the jobsite. Work with the Project Manager to develop a project schedule. Monitor with and assist the Project Manager in the execution of the project financial goals. Provide quality control by studying drawings, questioning uncertain details, continuously walking the job and inspecting each trades work and compare it to the contract documents. Be a problem solver prior to the work taking place and ensure that the work meets or exceeds the requirements of the contract documents.
Provide organization and technical expertise to construct the project in accordance with the contract documents. Direct workflow consistent with the schedule, communicate priorities to the field crews and subcontractors. Provide total control by studying contracts, contract documents, shop drawings and submittals to ensure proper means and methods are employed to accomplish the work in a safe and quality manner.
- Provide leadership by using effective verbal and written communications to manage the subcontractors and field.
personnel as well as interact with the Owner, Architect and Consultants on behalf of the company.
- At project inception conduct a proactive review of the documents and the site to assess all constructability issues associated with the project. Continue a proactive approach throughout the project to identify potential issues problems/conflicts and assist in their solutions.
- Start up the project assessing safety requirements and site logistics. Schedule and document safety start up meetings with the subcontractors reviewing Cannon Building’s safety requirements, OSHA requirements, Site Specific Safety requirements and reporting requirements.
- Confirm all contracts are signed and insurance is in place prior to allowing any personnel on the jobsite to
perform any work. Reads and has a working knowledge of subcontracts and change orders. Review weekly project logs for insurance, RFIs, Submittals, and Material Delivery Logs to ensure the proper delivery of materials, equipment and labor to the project.
- Review shop drawings along with Project Manager to help ensure compliance with the construction documents.
- Enforce Cannon Building’s IIPP requirements and ensure that the subcontractors are following good safety practices on a daily basis by performing daily job walks, documenting the results of those walks, updating daily reports, holding weekly jobsite safety meetings and document all incidents and injuries according to the IIPP. Takes decisive actions when any unsafe condition or action is discovered – Zero tolerance.
- Maintain the project in a neat and clean manner representing a professional appearance and maintaining a safe environmentworking environment.
- Maintain and publish 3 Week Look Ahead Schedules that reflects the base project schedule and work with the project team to update the project schedule to keep it current. Takes responsibility for completing the job on time.
- Maintains good working relationships with City Officials and Inspectors. Schedules all City Inspections in advance to ensure schedule commitments are met.
- Maintains good working relationships with all project consultants. Reviews documents with specific purpose to provide information on constructability and quality construction.
- Maintains good working relationships with specialty inspection agencies. Coordinates schedule commitments with affected subcontractors. Assists with maximizing efficient use of time for inspections to minimize cost to clients.
- Monitor and document all SWPPP, BMP and storm related paperwork related to the project including job surveys and updating of the SWPPP plans and keeping all files up to date.
- Notify the subcontractors with advanced notice so they can properly plan their work. Coordinate their work with other trades. Maintain good working relationship with all subcontractors ensuring that the subcontractors are treated fairly.
- Review and establish “Hot Issues” with each trade reviewing work for general compliance. Lead weekly subcontractor coordination and scheduling meetings reviewing inspection requests, inspection failures, required documents, testing and inspection requirements.
- Coordination with client’s vendors for installation and move-in.
- Maintains Permit and As-Built sets of documents in neat and professional manner.
- When working in an OSHPD facility; track IOR open issues, reviewing periodically to establish the status of the list. Review open issues with the subcontractors and set dates for completion. Upon completion review items with the IOR and document their completion. Track OSHPD FV and TIO to ensure that they are up to date at all times during the project. Keep all compliance reports on file during the course of the project and close all open items.
Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of commercial construction with a minimum of four years of experience in this area.
- Knowledge and understanding of CPM scheduling methods – ability to use MS Project or Suretrack is a plus.
- Current in the use of all CAL OSHA Title 8 specified requirements for the job at hand.
- Possesses the ability to recognize problems and generate workable solutions for approval and follow through to resolution of problems.
- Has an understanding of SWPPP requirements as to year-round building as well as building in weather conditions and knows how to minimize the impact of the weather on the project.
If you enjoy a challenge, are team-oriented, and have a minimum of 2 years of construction experience in the healthcare and life science industry, please submit your resume.
We have a strong commitment to environmental awareness and providing a safe, drug-free workplace.
We offer competitive salaries, 401(k) with employer matching, a comprehensive benefit package (Health, Vision, Dental, AD&D), and the excitement of a growing company on the move.
Job Type: Full-time