In 2019 Cannon Building was rated one of the top places to work by the Orange County Business Journal. We are looking for an experienced Project Engineer to join our growing team!
About the Company
Cannon Building, a successful commercial General Contractor, is seeking a motivated, skilled, and experienced Project Engineer for our Los Angeles/Orange County and San Diego County offices. We are a leading Life Science, Healthcare, and Commercial/Industrial builder who provides high efficiency, cost-effective construction solutions while maintaining a relentless focus on safety and quality.
The Project Engineer must possess and exercise commitment, initiative, integrity and teamwork in the execution of their duties. While working closely with the Project Manager and Superintendent, the Project Engineer acts as liaison between the owner, architect, consultants, subcontractors and the project team. This position will have good communication skills to process administrative work including RFI’s, submittals, shop drawings, claims and change orders. The Project Engineer will also be responsible for meeting minutes and assisting with scheduling.
Provide support to the Project Manager and the Superintendent. Utilize general knowledge of construction methods and techniques in organizing controlling, monitoring and recording all activities which are a part of the construction management of the project.
- Use effective verbal and written communication acting as the liaison between the owner/client, architect and consultants as well the project team in all phases of the work.
- Assist in the preparation of subcontracts including development of drawing lists, scopes of work and schedules.
- Employ Project Management Systems to manage and control the project documentation work including change orders, subcontractor claims, purchase orders, submittals, and shop drawings. Keep organized files of all documents.
- Monitor and prepare RFI logs, submittal logs, subcontractor status report, testing and inspection reports, safety inspections and reports, change order logs and other related reports for use by the Project Manager and Superintendent. Issue updated logs to the Superintendents on a weekly basis.
- Assist in the preparation, monitoring and updating of the project schedule. Help coordinate the schedules with the Superintendent’s “3 week look ahead” schedules. Establish material delivery schedules/logs from the submittal logs and assist in their integration into the project schedule.
- Review RFIs for accuracy, references and detail including interpretation of drawings and specifications as it relates to the RFI. Keep record drawings updated and RFIs posted. Insure that As-built drawings are kept up to date and in order.
- Participate in Operations and Safety meetings to help facilitate and enforce jobsite safety at all times and the establishment of project emergency plans.
- Assist in preparing documents for project meetings, safety meetings and coordination meetings. Prepare meeting minutes and distribute using the Project Management System.
- Prepare project close out documents including monitoring of punch list to completion, preparation of warranties and operations manuals.
- Be proficient in basic estimating skills including quantity take offs, spreadsheet analysis, unit pricing that can be utilized in the review of change order pricing.
Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge and understanding of CPM scheduling methods.
- Ability to recognize problems and produce workable alternative solutions. Proactively solves problems.
- Proficiency in MS Project or Suretrack or similar scheduling program.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel and Word.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 2-4 years of position-related experience.
- Construction background is preferred.
If you enjoy a challenge, are team-oriented, and have a minimum of 2 years of construction experience in the healthcare and life science industry, please submit your resume.
We have a strong commitment to environmental awareness and providing a safe, drug-free workplace.
We offer competitive salaries, 401(k) with employer matching, a comprehensive benefit package (Health, Vision, Dental, AD&D), and the excitement of a growing company on the move.
Job Type: Full-time